At 8:10 p.m. on Aug. 22, officers were called to Merry Jo Brandimore House to talk with a parent that was upset with her son’s room. He was missing a dresser and was becoming confrontational with Residential Life Staff. The situation was calmed down, and the item was returned to the room.
Destruction of Property
At 1:24 a.m. on Aug. 24, officers heard loud screaming in Lot A while patrolling. When the officer entered the lot, they spoke with a non-student who indicated that another non-student had jumped on the top of his car and smashed the windshield of his vehicle. Officers attempted to locate the suspect, but they were unable to find him. A warrant will be sought for the suspect.
Operating Under the Influence
At 12:38 p.m. on Sept. 1, officers were alerted that a vehicle traveling on Bay Road was all over the road and was driving north in a southbound lane. Officers located the vehicle and recognized the driver showed signs of opioid overdose. Narcan was administered twice. An ambulance was called to evaluate him further. He was found to have an illegal substance and did not have a valid license. He was transported to the hospital, and a warrant will be sought.
At 2:43 p.m. on Aug. 22, a 55-year-old professor reported that they were a victim of an email scam and sent $200 to a fake person before realizing that it was a scam.
At 3:16 p.m. on Aug. 28, an 18-year-old female student reported that someone had opened a cell phone account in her name and racked up a bill of a thousand dollars. The phone company was willing to clear the account if she provided a police report.
At 1:22 p.m. on Aug. 21, a 66-year-old non-student reported that his credit card had been used to make fraudulent purchases. He was concerned because one of the last places he had used it was at the Ryder Center. An investigation into the situation did not reveal any specific location where the card was scammed. He was credited back the money.
At 10:25 a.m. on Sept. 3, the Independent Bank on campus reported that people had been depositing fake payroll checks and withdrawing funds from the accounts immediately after. This situation is still under investigation.
At 7 p.m. on Aug. 20, students were cooking on the stove in their apartment in University Village when they had a fire in a pot. Minor damage was caused to the microwave.
Latest posts by svvanguardnews (see all)
- Media narratives are misleading of veteran experiences - 10 Nov 2019
- Universities should be subjected to Open Meetings Act - 10 Nov 2019
- Police Briefs - 10 Nov 2019