News

Summer job fair a success despite rescheduling

On Wednesday, Feb. 20, the Career Services Summer Job and Internship Fair took place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the second-floor banquet rooms in Curtiss Hall.

The fair was rescheduled two times due to poor weather conditions.

To accommodate the changing dates, Bill Stec, the interim director of Career Services, and his team coordinated with employers, designed and printed new marketing materials and communicated with all parties involved including Dining Services and the Conference Center.

While it was not an easy process, there were some benefits in the end.

“The positive to this was we were able to get some new companies to attend, as the new date favored their availability,” Stec said.

This year’s event was sponsored by Bavarian Inn Restaurant & Lodge, Independent Bank, Morley Companies, Rocket Mortgage by Quicken Loans, Saginaw Bay Underwriters and Walmart. Over 100 companies from various industries were in attendance.

Rachel Daley, an occupational therapy sophomore, came to the fair hoping to make new connections.

“I thought (coming to the job fair) would be a good way to explore new opportunities and network with people who could be helpful to me in the future,” she said.

For Stec, introducing students to employers with whom they could secure jobs and internships was the best part of the fair.

“It is a great feeling when students look up to you and you are able to make a difference in their career endeavors,” he said.

For exercise science sophomore Hannah Balbaugh, the fair provided an opportunity to pursue her career interests.

“I’m glad I came to the event (Wednesday),” Balbaugh said. “It felt like an accomplishment and a smart step to take towards my professional future.”

Career Services will also be hosting the Spring University-Wide Employment Fair on Friday, March 29, from noon to 3 p.m.

Reported by Micali Gadola, Vanguard Reporter

Categories: News

Tagged as: , , ,