Sports

Swim and dive fall short to nationally ranked Wayne State

swim-2

Both the men and women’s swim and dive teams came up short in a home meet against Wayne State on Friday, Jan. 11.

Both Warrior teams were nationally ranked, as their men’s team sat at No. 8 in the nation while their women’s team sat at No. 14. The Cardinal women fell to the Warriors 156-133, while the men were outswam by a score of 189-79.

Cardinal freshman Sidney Shipps swam well on Friday, earning rst place in her 1,000 (10:38.16), 500 (5:13.17) and 200 (1:57.13) freestyle events. Senior Amanda Thielen claimed first in the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:07.50 and second in the 100 backstroke with a time of 58.39. Senior Lydia Mattar took first in the 200 breaststroke, posting a time of 2:24.98. She also came in second in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:07.11.

For the men’s team, senior Peter Lin placed second in the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:50.57 and third in the 1,000 freestyle with a time of 10:05.56. Freshman Pedro Rezende came in just before Lin in the 1,000 freestyle, claiming second place with a time of 10:04.21. Senior Nick Berens took second in the 100 backstroke with a time of 53.75 and fourth in the 200 backstroke in 2:02.18.

Despite the losses on Friday, Cardinal head coach Bruce Zimmerman drew positives from the matchup.

“Even though we were not victorious, it was a pretty good meet for us,” he said. “Our focus now will be on next weekend’s meet against Hillsdale and Ashland. This is our last tune up before the GLIAC Championships at the end of February, so we want to be sharp and very competitive for this final dual meet of the season.”

Reporting from Thomas Gallagher, Reporter

Categories: Sports

Tagged as: , ,