News

Taste of Soul brings new flavor to Marketplace

SVSU hosted its annual Taste of Soul event on Wednesday, Feb. 20, in the Marketplace.

The event was part of SVSU’s Black History Month events.

Students and members of the community were invited to attend, eat soul food and watch live music performances.

Mamie Thorns, the chief diversity officer and the special assistant to the president for Diversity Programs, was pleased with the turnout for this year’s event.

“We emphasized expanding the celebration to the entire Saginaw community this year,” Thorns said.

Several community members were invited to the event this year.

“The Men of Bethel from the Bethel AME Church in Saginaw also came and prepared all of the food for us as well,” Thorns said. “We were very thankful.”

The Men of Bethel prepared fried fish, chicken, mac and cheese, gumbo and baked beans.

For dessert, there was cake, sweet potato pie and Thorns’ homemade pecan delights.

Several students and members of the outside community attended.

Several alumni also came back to celebrate.

Alumnus George Copland said he returns every year to enjoy the wide variety of food offered at Taste of Soul.

He also liked to engage with the on-campus community.

“This has always been my favorite school event of the year,” Copland said. “The fried ribs were my favorite food, and Dr. Thorns’ homemade treats were my favorite desserts.”

Additional upcoming Black History Month events at SVSU include guest speaker Areva Martin on Tuesday, Feb. 26, and Organization of Black Unity’s Black at SVSU event on Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Reported by Marq Williams, Vanguard Reporter

Categories: News

Tagged as: , ,