News

OBU hosts Hustle Party for Black History Month

The Organization of Black Unity (OBU) hosted their first Hustle Party on Tuesday, Feb. 19, from 10 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. in the Student Life Center.

Indigo Dudley, a music and communication senior, saw the event as a way to bring everyone together.

“We wanted to do something for Black History Month,” Dudley said. “Being able to combine everything with the culture jams week and collaborating with the Latino Awareness Association and African Students Union was really beneficial. This event is a fun way to bring everyone together and show our culture with midterm season closing in.”

Dudley hopes that the Hustle Party will soon be an annual party that gets people excited during Black History Month.

“We are considering what people like and don’t like, as well as attendance,” she said. “We are trying to make something like this last so people will say, ‘Oh, it’s February, OBU hosts Hustle Night around this time.”

Tayler Williams, a business fifthyear, enjoyed attending the party with her friends.

“Seeing everyone dancing and laughing together was my favorite part,” Williams said.

Williams expressed her desire for increased OBU awareness in order to get more people to come out and participate.

“It’s a nice event,” she said. “Having more people come out is all I would change.”

Henrietta Nwokeabia, a pre-nursing sophomore, helped host the event and attended the party to show her support.

“I’m part of the African Students Union, and we decided to do this event with OBU, so I came to support my fellow organizations,” she said.

Nwokeabia’s favorite part was the dancing, and she wishes for more events like the Hustle Party.

“I wish events like this would happen more frequently because, as an international student, we only get to dance once in a while,” she said.

Dudley hopes by collaborating with other organizations, there will be more programs like the previous African Dance Party and the Hustle Party in the future.

“One of the goals we had was to reach out to other organizations and collaborate more with them,” Dudley said. “With more changes like this, we will have more events like this in the future. This was one of our most successful collaborations yet, and I am looking forward to culture fest.”

Reported by Sierra Masson, Vanguard Reporter

identicon

Sierra Masson

Reporter l slmasson@svsu.edu
identicon

Latest posts by Sierra Masson (see all)

Categories: News

Tagged as: , ,