Sports

Last-second shot seals victory for Cardinals

The Cardinals continued GLIAC play on Saturday, Feb. 23, as they took on the Ashland Eagles at home. They looked to complete a weekend sweep after defeating the Wayne State Warriors two days prior by a score of 72-59.

The Ashland contest was a very defensive game, as neither of the teams scored over 60 points.

The first half saw a lot of back-and-forth scoring from both sides.

Sophomore guard Darnell Hoskins Jr. led the Cards in scoring the first half with 10 points, shooting 50 percent from the field. Sophomore center Sebastiano Lamanato also helped the Cards with six points and three rebounds in the first.

The Eagles only shot 28 percent in the first half, but they got to the free throw line 12 times, netting 11 shots, sending them into the locker room with a 10-point lead over the Cardinals.

The second half saw a much better scoring output from the Cardinals.

They shot 60 percent from the field behind Hoskins, who added 18 points to complete his career-high 28 on the night.

Freshman guard Myles Belyeu also came alive in the second half. After going 1-11 in the first, he came back with 10 points, shooting 5-7 from the field. He also grabbed two defensive rebounds and had two assists and two steals to help the Cardinals stay in the game.

The Cardinals had to fight back from a 14-point deficit that the Eagles created. Hoskins netted a triple to give the Cardinals a 56-53 lead with just over a minute remaining.

After a few free throws, including a technical, the game was tied at 56 with about 10 seconds remaining in the game.

Hoskins got the inbound, dribbled up the court and drilled the go-ahead three with only a couple of seconds remaining.

The last second heave by the Eagles did not fall, and the Cardinals came out victorious.

Head coach Randy Baruth was proud of his team for playing until the final whistle and competing every play.

“I am really happy with the way (we) played in both games this weekend,” Baruth said. “Today was a great game, and (Hoskins) continues to shine for us as a leader, carrying a huge workload on both sides of the ball. Great game, and I am very proud of these guys.”

The Cardinals look to finish the season with a win, as they head on the road to take on their rival Northwood on Thursday, Feb. 28, at 8 p.m. for the final game of the season.

Reported by Marq Williams, Vanguard Reporter

Freshman guard Myles Belyeu makes a strong drive during the Cards’ game against Ashland on Saturday, Feb. 23. The team defeated the Eagles with a last-second game-winner from sophomore guard Darnell Hoskins Jr. Vanguard Photo | Kyle Will
Marq Williams

Marq Williams

Reporter l Communication l mlwilli4@svsu.edu
Marq Williams