News

BOC honors police officer

The SVSU Board of Control met on Monday, Feb. 18, at 1:30 p.m.

A number of items were on the agenda, including honoring the February staff member of the month, Ryan Persails.

Persails, an SVSU police officer, was the first on the scene on Tuesday, Jan. 22, after Saginaw Township Police Officer Jeff Koenig was shot. Koenig pulled over a car for not having its lights on near Tittabawassee Road and Bay Road about 2:15 a.m. The suspect shot Koenig in the face and right arm.

Persails responded to Koenig’s distress call and helped give life-saving first aid with two other Saginaw Township officers as they drove him to the hospital.

Persails’ wife and children, as well as several student University Police workers, came to the meeting to show their support.

SVSU Police Chief Leo Mioduszewski gave him an accommodation.

“His quick thinking, as well as the two Saginaw Township officers’ actions, most likely saved Officer Koenig’s life,” Mioduszewski said.

SVSU President Don Bachand shared his appreciation for SVSU police officers.

“We’ve got an outstanding police department here at SVSU,” he said. “They do a spectacular job on our campus and the surrounding community.”

Bachand said it was an honor to name Persails the staff member of the month.

“If you can imagine what it takes to deal with the situation that (Persails was part of) and all the details associated with it, and take the action that he did spur of the moment, it’s an unbelievable tactful, professional response to an extremely chaotic situation,” he said.

Persails said he was doing his job.

“I think that any police officer in the whole county would have done the same thing that we did,” Persails said.

The Board also honored January’s staff member of the month, Andy Sharrow, an event and theatre technology specialist.

Sharrow was responsible for the technology at commencements and the MLK ceremony with Valerie Jarrett.

Reported by Kaitlyn Farley, Vanguard Editor-in-Chief

Kaitlyn Farley

Editor-in-Chief | PTW, History | kmfarle1@svsu.edu
Kaitlyn Farley

Categories: News

Tagged as: ,