A&E

New director chosen for Fredericks museum

Megan McAdow is slated to replace Marilyn Wheaton as the director of the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum. McAdow worked at the Applewood Estate in Flint before taking the director position at SVSU. Vanguard Photo | Kyle Will

The Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum (MMFSM) recently hired Megan McAdow as the new director to replace Marilyn Wheaton.

As director, McAdow will oversee operations, exhibitions and education programs within the museum and the Donald Petersen Sculpture Garden.

Following a national search, McAdow was chosen due to her previous work at the Applewood Estate in Flint and her credentials in conversation and grant writing.

“The search committee for this position was made up of members of the museum board and university administration,” said Andrea Ondish, the curator of education at MMFSM. “ … Four candidates were interviewed by the search committee and met with museum staff members.”

McAdow was interested in working for MMFSM because she loves Fredericks’ work and was excited about the opportunity to work at an on-campus museum.

“I adore (Fredericks’) work,” she said. “Many of his pieces are both impressive in scale yet approachable in execution. His playful spirit serves as inspiration for me every day. I am also drawn to the fact that the museum is an integral part of SVSU. I enjoy working with students and exposing them to the exciting field of museums and museum studies.”

McAdow enjoyed art growing up, but she did not think that she would be working in a museum until she was almost done with college.

“My passion for art and museums began as a young child,” McAdow said. “Upon entering college, I never thought I could make a career of working in museums. It was late in my undergraduate studies that a professor recommended I do an internship with a museum, and I fell in love with the work.”

McAdow said she has been working in museums for nearly 20 years and enjoys learning about what goes on behind the exhibits.

“Early in my career, I worked at the Detroit Institute of Arts and thoroughly enjoyed working in an art museum,” she said. “Working behind the scenes to preserve and promote art always provides new and interesting experiences.”

In the position, McAdow hopes to sustain the museum’s reputation and entice more students to become involved by walking
inside, attending events or participating in internships.

“The museum has a solid reputation for quality programs and exhibitions, and I hope to continue that legacy,” McAdow said. “I also hope to create a more-welcoming environment for students at the museum. From internships to events, I hope that SVSU students will increasingly see the museum as a tremendous asset to them.”

McAdow said she is excited about working for the museum, becoming more involved with the community, both on and off campus, and promoting the museum’s offerings.

“I am really looking forward to building new relationships at SVSU and in the surrounding community,” she said. “I also look forward to increasing awareness of the museum so that more people can take advantage of the amazing resources we have here.”

Ondish looks forward to working with McAdow and seeing what she will bring to the museum.

“She is wonderful to work with,” Ondish said. “She refers to the staff as a team, and I like that. I am very excited to have her expertise and knowledge here at the museum.”

Reporting by Taylor Stockton, Vanguard News Editor

Taylor Stockton

News Editor | Business | tmstockt@svsu.edu
Taylor Stockton

Categories: A&E

Tagged as: , , ,