Football takes Ferris to overtime, loses 47-45

After losing to Bowie State on the road in week two the Cardinals looked to right the ship in their next game, a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Conference (GLIAC) matchup against the number two team in the country Ferris State.

Head coach Ryan Brady was ready for the challenge of Ferris State.

“We’re excited to head into league play this week and begin our journey to fight for a GLIAC Championship,” Brady said. “We have a great opportunity to compete against one of the nation’s top teams this week in Ferris State.”

Brady also likes having a game closer to SVSU than the previous matchup in Maryland.

“Baltimore, Maryland was quite the road,” Brady said. “But, if we are not at the beautiful Harvey Randall Wickes, then it still feels like a road game; 3 out of the next4areontheroadandwehavealotof work to be done.”

SVSU’s defense started the game strong by forcing a punt on Ferris State’s first possession and junior defensive back Noah Suber blocking an extra point.

Sophomore defensive back Michael Woolridge returned the blocked extra point the length of the field to score two points for the Cardinals.

On SVSU’s next possession they were able to drive down the field and junior kicker Connor Luksic converted a 27-yard field goal attempt to help the Cardinals close the gap now trailing 6-5.

Luksic was called on again during the following SVSU as he again was able to convert a 26-yard field goal to take the 8-6 lead.

Ferris State regained the lead following a touchdown, and after forcing a punt from SVSU they turned the ball over to the Cardinals 21 yards from the endzone.

Following an interception by the Cardinals offense led to Suber getting a pick six touchdown with seven minutes left in the half to give SVSU the 15-13 lead.

On the ensuing Bulldog possession senior linebacker Xavier Abraham was able to force a fumble that was recovered by Woolridge.

After the next three possessions between the two teams led to no more points getting added to the board, Ferris State was able to score a touchdown with five seconds remaining in the half.

SVSU began the second half with the ball, trailing by a score of 20-15.

Junior quarterback Matt Considine threw a 63-yard pass to senior tight end Isaiah Johnson-Mack, setting up a third Luksic field goal.

Following two touchdowns and two missed extra points by the Bulldogs, SVSU was trailing 32-18 with 9:45 left in the third quarter.

Senior running back Tommy Scott started to see more success on the ground, as he was able to score a touchdown to bring SVSU within seven points.

Redshirt freshman Victor Nelson forced a fumble that was recovered by senior linebacker Victor Abraham.

Following the fumble, Scott scored his second touchdown of the game and Luksic connected on his extra point to tie the game at 32.

Following a Ferris State touchdown with 45 seconds left the Cardinals were able to manufacture an eight-play touchdown drive to tie the score as time expired.

In overtime Ferris State scored a touchdown on the first possession following an SVSU penalty on third down.

Another SVSU penalty on the extra point allowed Ferris State to try again after missing on the initial try.

After the penalty, Ferris State decided to go for two and was successful, stretching their lead to 47-39.

Two penalties against Ferris State helped the Cardinals score on their possession, but a failed two-point conversion secured the 47-45 win for the Bulldogs.

Coach Brady looks forward to his team continuing to grow and learn through diversity.

“Moving forward, we need to continue to have a growth mindset and embrace the process every day,” Brady said. “Every day is an opportunity to compete, prepare, and learn from past experiences; our younger players will continue to have to grow up fast.”

Saginaw Valley plays the next game on Sept. 25 at Wayne State in their second GLIAC match of the season.


Categories: Uncategorized

Tagged as: , ,

Leave a Reply