Men’s soccer continues winning streak

SVSU men’s soccer has started its season off 3-0.

On March 7, the Cardinals defeated Northern Michigan 4-0 in an away game.

SVSU scored one in the first half to take the lead, then used three second half goals to put the game out of reach.

Fourteen minutes into the season, SVSU was able to get on the board. Senior midfielder Danny Barlow scored his first goal of the season, coming off of an assist by junior midfielder Brady Walker.

In the second half, sophomore forward Kairo Coore scored in the 50th minute on a penalty kick set up by a Northern Michigan foul. Two minutes later, SVSU scored again when sophomore defenseman Benjamin Adamson found the back of the net.

SVSU scored its last goal in the 70th minute, as Barlow set up Coore for his second goal of the game.

Saginaw Valley outshot Northern Michigan 17-8 over the course of the game.

The game lasted two hours and nine minutes and had an attendance of zero fans. Great Lakes Intercollegiate Conference sports are looking to start allowing fans at future games.

On March 14, SVSU defeated Parkside 4-2 on the road.

Each team scored once during the first 45 minutes, but SVSU outscored Parkside 3-1 in the second half to get the win.
Barlow started the scoring with an unassisted goal 11 minutes in.

Parkside scored the next two goals in the 16th and 47th minutes to take a 2-1 lead.

Sophomore midfielder Robbie Baker scored in the 49th minute after Coore passed him the ball for an assist, tying the game at two.

Senior midfielder Alex Gloshen was assisted by Coore and junior midfielder Gabriello Calamita in the 54th minute, which gave SVSU the 3-2 lead.

Barlow scored in the 72nd minute unassisted to give the Cardinals a 4-2 lead, which was also the final score.

VSU outshot Parkside 27-13 during the game.

The game lasted for two hours and there was one fan in attendance.

On March 21, the Cardinals defeated Northwood 4-3 in overtime.

SVSU got off to a slow start as the team fell behind 2-0 after the first 18 minutes of the game.

In the 35th minute of the game, Gloshen scored, bringing the Cardinals back within one goal of the Timberwolves.

Four minutes into the second half, Northwood extended its lead to 3-1 over SVSU.

Barlow scored the next two goals, scoring first unassisted in the 55th minute, and then on an assist from Calamita.

Six minutes into overtime, Coore was able to find the back of the net on an assist from Barlow, giving SVSU the 4-3 win.

SVSU’s defense was the story of the second half, as the team only allowed two shots in the final 51 minutes of the game.

Following the mask policies of the state and university, only 98 fans were allowed to attend.

The Cardinals also played Ashland on March 28, with their next game to be April 3 at home against Davenport.

SVSU will only have two more games following Davenport to get ready for playoffs.


Categories: Uncategorized

Tagged as: , ,

Leave a Reply