Cardinal hockey beats Lawrence Tech

Photo by Brooke Elward

SVSU hockey won 3-2 against Lawrence Tech Saturday at home Jan. 25.

SVSU led the first period with two goals. No. 59 Ben Clemence made the first goal for SVSU with 5 minutes left.

With only four players left on the rink after a penalty from Seth Lewis sent him to the box, No. 5 Corey Churchill made the second goal of the period with only nine seconds left.

The Cardinals ended the first period with a 2-0 lead.

Two minutes into the second period, No.13 Hunter Windy made the first goal with an assist from Churchill and No. 22 Kyle Moran.

The goal was followed by four penalties from SVSU. Churchill was put in the box with 10 minutes left for hooking.

After this, Moran was taken off the ice with 8:31 left for cross checking. No. 12, Ernest Travick was given a penalty for cross checking. With zero seconds left in the period, Windy received a penalty for hooking.

The loss of Moran in the game helped Lawrence make its first goal with 7:58 left in the game, bringing the score to 3-1 with a lead by SVSU.

A goal by Lawrence was still not enough to beat the Cardinals in the third and final period.

After a fight broke out on the ice, a player from each team was taken off the ice, leaving the game 4-4 with 14:24 left in the game.

No. 21 Aaron Shahin was given a penalty for his fight with a Lawrence player. Lawrence followed up with another loss of a player from its team. However, after bringing the number of players back up to five on each side, Lawrence was able to gain its second and final point of the night with less than three minutes left in the game.

The score made the game 3-2, which would end up being the final score of the night.

Coach Brendan Ryan said the team struggled with penalties.

“Penalties were a very large challenge for us tonight,” he said. “We played most of the second and third period in the box. It is hard to play any game shorthanded. LTU did a good job changing their game plan to hold the puck deep in our zone, but luckily we were able to clear when needed.”

Despite the penalties, Ryan said he still believed the team did well and had a great drive.

“I thought the game overall went very well,” he said. “We came out strong and found the net early. … I thought our team did a great job of getting the puck deep into the zone and holding pressure. We had multiple shifts with great pressure and drive. Our physical game made it easier for us to keep fighting every shift.”

Ryan said Steven Kukla and Ryan Forman stood out to him during the game.

“(Kukla) shows up every night for every game,” Ryan said. “He is ready to compete as soon as he shows up to the rink. … Forman faced 38 shots tonight, and after a tie yesterday, he had the confidence to hold them out and bring home the win. It was a huge team effort that won this game through communication and teamwork.”

SVSU plays Davenport on Feb. 8 at the Kentwood Ice Area.

Categories: Uncategorized

Tagged as: ,

Leave a Reply