SVSU has been rated No. 1 in Michigan for housing and No. 4 in national housing, including both public and private universities, by Niche’s 2020 Best College Dorms in America rankings.
SVSU the only Michigan university with a Top 60 national rating.
Niche bases 70 percent of its ranking on student satisfaction surveys from the over 180,000 universities ranked on the website. The other 30 percent is based off other factors, including campus safety, housing capacity and average housing costs.
Dawn Isler, the director of Auxiliary Operations, found out about the ranking change from University Communications.
“University Communications monitors the Niche ranking releases, which corresponds nicely with our new marketing campaign for fall 2020 and winter 2021, as our admissions staff works on the next academic year,” she said.
Isler said the ranking news coming during move-in was an added bonus.
“We are so proud to learn of the Niche ranking just moments into our check-in for fall 2019,” she said. “The accolades we receive are shared with our campus colleagues as it will always take a village or a campus community, in this case, to support all our residents in their success here.”
Isler said the rankings help foster the “sense of pride” students can feel about their choice to live on campus.
“I believe seeing the metrics behind our efforts will increase their confidence levels and continue pushing toward their persistence to graduate with the grit and determination we know is inside them,” she said.
SVSU’s housing was wait-listed last year and this year. Their dorms hold 2,435 students. This year, 1,050 freshmen are living on campus.
Shelby Willemain, a nursing junior, is one of many upperclassmen who chose to live on campus. She lives in New Pine Grove.
“This will be my third year living on campus,” she said. “I think the ratings are reflecting perfectly on what is being presented through SVSU Housing. SVSU deserves these ratings, as they have always expressed a sense of urgency with our housing accommodations.”
Isler said there are plans to make more dorm upgrades next year. Some improvements include updates to Pine Grove Central shared bedrooms, which had originally been planned for this summer. Due to higher than expected bids, though, the upgrades were delayed.
“Construction and Planning is currently bidding project work for both Pine Grove Central, again, and Living Center South,” she said. “Both of these areas are expected to have some needed updates for fall 2020 opening.”
Isler said amenities updates are also being reviewed. “TV solutions are being explored for student entertainment in rooms,” she said. “We also are deploying parcel lockers for packages.”
Latest posts by Kaitlyn Farley (see all)
- Students charged for parking in free lots offered refund - 17 Sep 2019
- Sports clinics connect young athletes with students - 16 Sep 2019
- Professors to serve on national environmental justice task force - 16 Sep 2019