Sports

Tennis team kicks off spring season with slow start

SVSU’s women’s tennis team fell to Oakland by a final score of 7-0 on Sunday, Feb. 10, in its first match of the spring at the Greater Midland Tennis Center.

According to head coach Jennifer Boehm, the team started with confidence but lost momentum in the end.

“In our match against Oakland, our main priority was to start well,” Boehm said. “We have had some slow starts in the past, especially in doubles. In order to compete with a team as experienced as Oakland, we needed to come out with confidence. I was really proud of how we did just that.”

Doubles team Maya Campbell and Taylor McLaughlin fell in their set, 1-6. Maddie Miller and Joanne Gao started strong and lead for most of the set. They let up in the end and lost 7-5.

Miller also played singles and did well, despite losing the match with scores of 0-6 and 3-6.

“I did better than the score seems,” Miller said. “Most games went to deuce. My opponent was really consistent and had a great serve. After all the time off from the snow days, it felt like I couldn’t get a groove on my ground strokes.”

The team played strong in singles but still fell in the end. Other singles players included Gao scoring 1-6, 0-6, McLaughlin scoring 4-6, 0-6 and Campbell scoring 1-6, 3-6.

“I did alright for the first match back and being hurt but could have done a lot better,” McLaughlin said. “I want to improve on confidence for the next match.”

The team has improved over the winter in many ways. Boehm says that they have worked on becoming stronger in the weight room and off the court.

“At the end of the fall semester, our team spent a great deal of energy and effort on improving ourselves as individuals and ultimately as a team,” she said. “Most of the work we did initially was off the court and included reading a book together, creating a team vision and focusing on the intentional and positive energy that we needed to be our best.”

Though the team fell short in their matches against Oakland, Boehm said she is proud of the team’s improvement and investment into the process of becoming better.

“I have seen improvement in every single person on our team,” she said. “We have also worked on becoming stronger in the weight room and better conditioned, and that definitely translates on the tennis court.”

The team played again Sunday, Feb. 17, but the match concluded after the publication of The Valley Vanguard.

Reported by Melissa Vennix, Vanguard Reporter

Categories: Sports

Tagged as: , ,