News

SVSU self-reports NCAA violations for ‘multiple sports’

SVSU self-reported violations in August 2017 regarding “improper certification of student-athletes” to the NCAA, according to a press release sent out on Thursday, Feb. 7.

SVSU and NCAA worked together to identity “record-keeping violations involving multiple sports and spanning several years,” the press release said.

The press release said that SVSU agreed to NCAA sanctions that were announced on Feb. 7. It said that sanctions include “being placed on NCAA probation for four years, a ban on hosting NCAA championship events during the 2019 winter semester, as well as vacating some wins in nearly all sports during the affected time period.”

No SVSU scholarships will be reduced, and all teams will remain eligible for post-season competition, according to the press release.

In the press release, John Decker, the director of Athletics, stated that SVSU is “committed to full compliance with NCAA regulations.”

“Despite the fact that the NCAA determined the violations were not intentional, we take full responsibility for our omissions in complying with NCAA regulations,” he said. “We are completely confident in the full eligibility of all current Cardinal student-athletes, and we have already taken steps to ensure appropriate checks and balances are in place so this does not happen again at SVSU.”

Reporting by Kaitlyn Farley, Editor-in-Chief

Kaitlyn Farley

Editor-in-Chief | PTW, History | kmfarle1@svsu.edu
Kaitlyn Farley