News

Lecture series on global topics

The Office of Global Engagement is hosting a lecture series titled “Global Thursday,” which will introduce students to various international topics.

The lectures are typically hosted at noon in the OIAS conference room in Wickes 230, and the first 10 people to RSVP are guaranteed a free lunch.

The Global Thursday lectures are designed to bring people together who are interested in discussing global topics.

“We are attempting to highlight the diverse studies and travels of members of the SVSU community while providing a space for interesting discussion that is not always available in classes or in the offices on a daily basis,” said Brianna Meyer, a history and French senior responsible for coordinating the lectures.

Director of Global Engagement Brian Thomas started the lecture series as a way to create intellectual conversation outside of the confines of the classroom.

Speakers include Amanda Ross and Art Martin, who will discuss the beauty and value of coral reefs that they viewed in the Cayman Islands; Tami Sivy, who will talk about her time teaching at Shikoku University; and Phillip Hanson, who will discuss his experiences during the Art Department trip to Shenyang.

Meyer hopes that these lectures bring students from all walks of life together.

“We want to bring domestic students closer with their international classmates and encourage them to make friends around the world through international travel,” Meyer said.

For Meyer, the events give students a chance to network and learn about study abroad opportunities. “These events are an opportunity to network with faculty and staff that you normally wouldn’t interact with,” Meyer said. “Also, if you are considering going on a study abroad trip, this is a great time to hear about recent trips and ask any questions you may have.”

Reporting from Taylor Stockton, Vanguard News Editor

Taylor Stockton

News Editor | Business | tmstockt@svsu.edu
Taylor Stockton

Categories: News

Tagged as: